If you ever ask me my favorite southern meal, I will always say oxtails and gravy. There is something about how the flavors of the meat and gravy combine with some southern sticky rice, I fall in love every time.
I love to start off my recipe by frying the oxtails before I put them in the slow cooker, it keeps the oxtail meat in place while slow cooking. As I fry my oxtail in batches I like to preheat my slow-cooker too high to get it warming up, it helps with the cooking process.
I use a 10-quart slow cooker, the size is large but having 4 lbs of oxtails, I need the room
Make sure you cover the oxtails with your liquid. You can use water, chicken broth, and vegetable broth. Play around with your flavors, you may be surprised by what you create.
Recipes that compliment this dish:
Slow Cooked Oxtails
- slow cooker
- 4 Pounds of Oxtails
- 1 Large Onion
- 4 Tablespoon of Kosher Salt your choice of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon of Thyme
- 1 Tablespoon of Rosemary
- 1 Tablespoon of Garlic Powder
- 1 Tablespoon of Onion Powder
- 1 Bay Leaf
- Olive Oil
- Flour to thicken gravy
- Set your slow cooker to high. It is best to have a warm to hot slow cooker for when you add the oxtail.
- Grease your slow cooker. Helps keep oxtails and onions from burning at the bottom.
- Mix ALL dry ingredients together and rub on your oxtails
- Brown on stove with olive oil.
- Cut up your onion and put in bottom of your slow cooker.
- Add oxtails to slow cooker
- Take 2 cups of water and 1 Table Spoon of flour, add to the pan of oxtail drippings and stir, take the juice and pour over your oxtails in the slow cooker. Make sure the juice is covering your oxtails, if not add water or broth until oxtails are covered.
- Add the bay leaf
- Cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours, or LOW for 8 hours.