This is the perfect fall side that is easy to make and quick to prepare. When I don't use my slow cooker, I love to use a cast iron skillet for my cooking. The cast iron brings out the richness in the food and it reminds me of the old timey country dinners.
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1/2 onion
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red peppers
- 1 Tablespoon of salt
- 1 Tablespoon of pepper
- 1/3 cup of water
- sprinkle of white sugar optional
- In a large pot, I use a large cast iron skillet, add oil and preheat pan
- Dice cabbage, onion, and bell pepper and add to skillet. Make sure it is on medium high and stir often.
- As the cabbage begins to fry add all your seasonings to the pan.
- Slowly add a few drops of water to the pan, you will see the cabbage drippings turn brown, STIR, that is the flavor. The water will evaporate quickly.
- Turn heat down to medium low and add a sprinkle, a baby spoon of white sugar. You do not have to add sugar, completely optional.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!