This southern potato salad recipe is a classic side dish that compliments any dinner. It is easy to make in under 20 minutes and sure to be a crowd-pleaser. This traditional side goes well with ham, cornish hens, turkey, and even oxtails with gravy. Add collard greens and candied yams, and dinner is made.
Check out the recipe below for details.
Southern Potato Salad
- 6 large yellow potatoes cut into cubes, 1 inch is fine
- 4 hard-boiled eggs diced
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 2 celery stalk diced fine
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard (optional)
- 1 tbsp sea salt or salt of your choice
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- paprika for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add 2 teaspoons of salt and potato cubes
- Boil for 10 minutes. You don't want to overcook the potatoes, they will get soft and mushy.
- Drain the potatoes and pour them into a large bowl.
- Add relish and stir. The vinegar keeps the potatoes from turning that grey color.
- Add all ingredients to yor bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour for the flavors to come together.