I actually just made this soup the other day. It was really cold outside and the girls needed something to warm their bellies. Nothing is better on a cold winter’s evening than some good old homemade soup.
I had a few fresh veggies left in the refrigerator and I decided to do something I have never done before, made broccoli and cheddar soup. I was very intimidated by this recipe because for it to taste so savory and creamy, I wouldn’t have guessed carrots and other household stables would have created such a delicious dish.
If you have broccoli, milk, onion, and cheese… you can make this same great meal as well.
I sauteed my veggies at first, added my seasonings and broth turned my heat down to a nice simmer, and let the magic begin.
The broccoli started to fall apart, but they were still a little too big for my liking. I separated half of my veggies and blended them in the blender for a nice thickening.
Hope my recipe is helpful, enjoy!
Post that may complement this recipe:
- Heartburn Relief
- Southern Sticky Rice
- Smoked Turkey, Potato, and Corn Chowder
- Irresistible Banana Pudding
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 finely diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cps half and half
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp sea salt or salt of your choice
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat, in a large pot, add finely diced onion. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Chop up your head of broccoli, grate, and finely dice your carrots, and garlic to add to your pot. Turn heat to high.
- Add your chicken or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. You want the carrots and broccoli to cook and get tender. Add all your seasonings and give a good stir. Once at a boil, cover and let simmer for 15-20minutes.
- Add your milk and cheddar cheese. Stir very well, you will notice the soup begin to thicken. Continue to simmer for 15-20 more minutes and dinner is ready.