Heartburn has attacked everyone, and when it hits, it is one of the worse pains to have. I especially hate being woken from a deep slumber only to realize I’m a fire-breathing dragon who needs relief.
It has taken some time, but I have tried every remedy I tell you. I must warn you some of the treatments may interact with any medication you may e taking, so please take precautions and use them wisely.
Choose meals wisely
You must be careful of the foods you consume, incredibly close to bedtime. I have learned to incorporate veggies and salads with my meals. Try and go for grilled or steamed. When it comes to salads, you can’t go wrong with any variety but be careful with the salad dressings; they can wreak havoc to your tummy.
- Be careful with high acidic food such as tomatoes, grapefruit, ACV, watermelon, oranges… they are triggers.
- Fried foods, chocolate, milk, rich foods, blue cheese, be careful.
- Alcohol can upset your stomach. Never drink on an empty stomach. Eat bread or something greasy, and use it in moderation.
Exercise and Heartburn
You have to be careful eating or drinking before working out. I have had heartburn just because I sipped water. How? It was just water.
- Try and wait for 1 to 2 hours before working out. It allows the food and liquids to break down, and your stomach acid isn’t trying to break down food while exercising.
- Remember to exhale. I have held my breath, and it caused heartburn. Just try and breathe slowly, and don’t overdo it.
- Start slow and gradually increase your exercise. It helps with the acid in your stomach. I don’t get that burning sensation in my throat when I start slow and then build up the frequency during my workout.
Baking Soda and Water
This is a quick-relief remedy that works in about 10-15 minutes. You will probably belch or have to use the restroom. It’s ok. Like the old saying goes, its more room out than in.
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- One cup of warm water. As warm as you can stand it.
- Mix in a cup and drink it fast.
Ginger helps with your digestion, and I recommend drinking at least twice a day in the morning and before bed. It helps alleviate nausea, upset stomach, heartburn, and overall just a great tea because of the inflammatory properties.
When using fresh ginger, add ginger to your teas, soups, drinks, or any dish to help aid in digestion. You can even take a slice of ginger and eat it. It will help with heartburn, just remember ginger is spicy so have some warm water to help aid in your heartburn relief Kidney patients DO NOT DRINK.
This is a quick and easy home remedy that works quickly. Give it 20 minutes to work.
- 2 teaspoons of ACV
- 1 cup of warm water
- Stir and drink.
This is a home remedy that takes time to work. You will want to take this twice a day and the best route is the pill form. You will see great benefits within a month. You must incorporate this into your daily lifestyle to get relief from heartburn and indigestion.
- 75 mg a day
I will hand down recommend this to anyone. It works wonders and it lasts 24 hours. I will say this, take it for a few days to see results. Take it before a spicy meal, and drink a full glass of water with this.
Could you not take it right after eating? Wait at least two hours after eating and 1 hour before. You need the medicine on an empty or relatively empty stomach for you to get the best benefits.